25 May 2014

Fat

Believe it or no,t it is a word that I am familiar with, I've been called fat, seen my friends and family members called fat.

Medically, I am described as obese.  I am 5'5" tall and roughly 210 lbs. I am controlling my portions, eating healthier, and cutting certain things down or out.  I've been exercising at the local YMCA since October of 2013 and started participating in Zumba around November of that year.  I also joined a group of ladies at my church that has a goal of being healthy and happy.  I have lost about 4 inches in my waist 2 inches in my hips and chest. I am more active with the kids.  I am not at my goal yet but I am working towards it and I am getting happier.

NPR posted an article about a brilliantly talented and absolutely beautiful opera singer, her critics only saw her body. It sickens me. There are amazing people out in the world who are talented in their area of expertise but get passed up because they "don't fit the mold".  

Before you start jumping to conclusions about these people did you happen to think that there might be a disorder that has caused them to gain weight?  I knew someone who had radiation and chemo for breast cancer, the radiation destroyed her thyroid. She gained weight.  There is PCOS.  I don't know about it through personal experience but I know people who have to go through this and let me tell you it is a bitch.  Listening to what they deal with on a daily basis, these are some strong women.  The list goes on and there is so much we don't know.  My family history has ALL shapes and sizes. Although I have seen one picture of her I had a great grandma who was a short, stout woman.  I think she was 4'9", my maternal grandma was maybe 5'3" tall and thin as a rail, my mom was thin and 5'9". 

I wear baggy clothes because I never liked tight clothing. Also, for the longest time when I wasn't "fat", I thought I was.  I have 3 more years until I'm 40 and I can already feel the changing going on, I am hoping that with what I am doing now, will help me.

Here's the deal, my weight is a result of having 2 kids, and before that giving up on myself and just eating.  I hope I am done with having children, pregnancy and I don't mix well.  The other part, I am working on that.  I know I will NEVER get back to 125 lbs., not too sure if I want to go back to that weight. I have a goal of losing 60 lbs.  I have faith I can get there.  

For those of you who see someone who doesn't fit your standard think before you start shaming or making fun of them, or doing something really stupid.  Not everyone who is fat, overweight, obese is shoveling food in their face.

Please, please, please think about people's feelings.  If you are one that preaches tolerance for all walks of life but then makes fun of someone for their weight (even if it is behind their backs) you just killed your argument for tolerance.

I will admit, I have been VERY guilt of it in the past.  Even if I said it in my head.  Still not right.  I am making amends, even though it was years ago and it was a complete stranger I will never see again.  I don't want my kids to be hateful. I need to set the example.  So do you.

No comments: