11 August 2014

The rain is bittersweet today

If you're reading this for the first time, I live in Texas, we have been getting rain but rain in August is something awesome!  We still have drought conditions and water restrictions in some areas of the state so when we see rain we are doing a happy dance. But like my title said the rain is bittersweet today, although forecasted, still makes for a little bit of sadness.

The world just got a shock to the system a little over an hour ago.

Robin Williams was found dead at his home at the age of 63. Apparent Suicide.

His publicist made a statement that he had been battling severe depression for a while.  Which really sucks on every level across the board because he was such a talented and wonderful actor.

I grew up watching Robin Williams, watching Mork and Mindy was my first memory.  All the different ways he would sit during the show I would try, even when he rode in Mindy's Jeep upside down. I did that, seat belt laws weren't a big thing back then.  I was 4 or 5 years old. I am 37 now.  All of my life! I never had the chance to meet the man or see him perform live. I would have loved that!  I would have found a way to meet him.

As funny as he is was, Patch Adams, What Dreams May Come, Awakenings, Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam and Good Will Hunting were my favorites of his.  Of course I loved Aladdin!

I've said it in other posts and please forgive me for any future use of any bad language. Depression is a BITCH! When you get into that deep dark place, you feel as if the only way out is to just end it all. Opening it all up to someone is the scariest thing ever.  You feel that you are weak, that there should've been a way to handle this without "seeking help", I know I've been there.  There are many suicide prevention hotlines out there, here's one.  @mandyj44 is my Twitter handle I have retweeted a few others.  If you can't talk over the phone to someone but you can bang away on the keyboard, I believe I retweeted a link for a website.  I don't care for followers I just want those links passed around as much as they can be.

I have always felt sad for the deaths of beloved actors and entertainers who died of old age, illness, or accidents. That sadness increases when they take their lives. But I've actually cried today and right now for Robin Williams.  I cry because he was down in that dark place and although he brought light and laughter to people he couldn't see it himself. I cry for his wife, his children, and the friends and family who loved him dearly.  I cry for all of the fans all around the world, I cry because we are going to miss the energy this man put out when he performed.

To The Family of Robin Williams:
I pray that understanding will eventually come as you mourn during this time.  Know that although we, as fans, didn't know him as well as you did we are all mourning with you. May God bless you and keep you.

Just know that depression is easily hidden, even by those who suck at acting. You don't know what kind of a day someone is having so watch what you say or do. If they look like they're deep in thought or brooding and they make eye contact with you, smile compliment something they have, you might save a life.



No comments: